Tuesday 29 June 2010

Buscando... a good medical placement. If anyone has any idea where to find one contact me!

Started my new placement for real on Tuesday. Felt alot better after a relatively quiet weekend and was ready to help! Tuesday work was good... They taught me how to feel where the baby is in the tummy, listen to the heartbeat and finally feel how many centimetres dilated someone is. It was great and I went home finally feeling like I'd got something out of doing a medical placement here. However, the next 3 days were me sitting there and watching, as a new intern had come in and totally took over. Added to the fact that the doctors work 24 hour shifts so there were different doctors each day, and they had no idea that I was actually meant to be there doesn't make for an interesting placement! Very frustrating. In births this week... maybe this will finally be the medical placement I'm searching for?

I went and visited the orphanage this week as Annie is trying to sort out the garden there and some of us went over to help. All the kids greeted e with cries of Tia Sofie... then Tia Emily. Still no Tia Amy. There are no Amys in Bolivia I don't think! We chopped and raked stuff up ready to be burnt and once we have paint we're going to paint murals on the walls and possibly paint inside the casita. It's going to look so much better!

The volunteer group is dwindling... two people left last week, two are leaving this week... sad times! Thursday night was Catherine's leaving do so we went for sushi and then to Dumbos for the most amazing ice cream ever. I have photos, but can't upload them here. They were mega! Friday night was Jamies do and we went EVERYWHERE before finally ending up in Pimienta... possibly the best club in the whole world! Again, possibly not the best idea as we had to be up early the next morning for painting!

With my amazing 3 hours of sleep, I was out of the house by 8 and hopped on a bus back to Sarcobamba to get painting. I felt rough :L We set up scafolding, mixed the paint and did the whole waiting room, only stopping for sandwiches for lunch. I also managed to drop my camera in the massive pot of paint. It broke unsurprisingly! Or so I'd thought...

Sunday was football day. We went back to Dumbos to watch it. We failed miserably... the only bloody football game I watch and England sodding lose. Fail :( Had lunch there before going to La Cancha (again!). I love it. We need one in England. Went home after that to find my camera worked! Brilliant! Just needed to dry a bit :) Got so excited I managed to shut myself out of my room, with the keys inside and no spare. At 8 on a Sunday night. Balls. Ended up having to go back to La Cancha to find someone to open in for the extortionate cost of 7 pounds (you think I'm joking... he was literally there all of two minutes picking at the lock. That's like 210 pounds an hour!). So that finished off my week perfectly!

We also planned the travel route we get to do at the end of our placements. We'll be going to Lake Titicaca, Salar de Uyuni, Potosi, Sucre, Samaipata (to maybe see a little bit of the Che Trail), Santa Cruz and finally back to Cbba for my flight. Going to be amazingggg!

Road of Death next weekend (3rd of July, the padres bday, lets hope I don't die!) so get ready for some epic pictures of me in a florescent jacket :)

A x

1 comment:

  1. Yeh, like don't die on Padre's birthday. That would really ruin his day! What about your poor mother's feelings?

    ReplyDelete