Tuesday 27 April 2010

What I'm Doing

A few people have asked what I'll be doing while I'm in Bolivia... this is just to let you all know :)

I'll arrive in Cochabamba on the 29th April and go to stay with my host family. They live on the one of the main streets in Cochabamba.

For the first month I'll be working at an orphanage which houses boys and girls from 0 - 16, on the outskirts of Cochabamba. Many are orphans, or come from underprivileged backgrounds and come to the centre to live and go to school. I'll be an extra pair of hands and will be able to help with basic maths or english lessons and extra curricular activities.

For the next two months I'll be at a health centre, where they treat any minor injuries or illnesses. I'll work as an intern and will shadow the doctors. I'll also take part in the teen leadership program the centre has set up, who meet once a week for educational or recreational purposes.

I'll then come home and will arrive back on the 28th.

In both placements they have very limited english so it will be up to me to use the epic spanish skills Mo-Mo and Tay-Tay taught me to communicate :S Before you know it, I'll be speaking spanish fluently... or that's the general idea.

I'm also going to be travelling around with the other volunteers out there to places like La Paz and Santa Cruz and will look around Cochabamba (which has the biggest market place in the world, selling anything from scarves to jewellery to TVs... AMAZING!) and the Cristo de la Concordia statue - the biggest statue of christ in the world (like the one in Rio de Janiero but slightly taller and better cos I'm going to go see it).

That's the basic gist... I'll post photos and videos on here when I can!

A x

No comments:

Post a Comment